January 17, 2008

A snowflake clung to a strand of my hair and hung in front of my eyes. It is the most beautiful sight I have seen in a long time. I have been walking for the past ten minutes in the snow, but its taken a snowflake dangling before me to actually see how beautiful it was around me. Yes, it has been snowing non stop today and needless to say, it is beautiful. Too bad the wind is behind me and I can’t feel the snow on my face. As I walk home, the wind's direction has changed and it is now snowing right into my face. Thank you. I don’t know whom I am thanking. Wait, maybe I do.

I come home. I find a packet lying on the sofa. I have been waiting for days. A birthday gift from home. I call out my roommates’ names and realize none of them are back. Thank you.

I tear open my packet and find a beautiful dress, four old photographs, a shawl and a letter. I throw everything else aside and slit open the letter. I can’t read for a few minutes. I shut my eyes close and let the extra drops of water fall off my eyelashes. I open my eyes, and start reading the letter. Sight of my dad’s handwriting makes me well up again. You are disgusting! I finally read the whole letter, slowly put it down and look at all the other stuff. I look out of the window, and then at the entire room. Thank you. This time I was sure who I was thanking.

That moment everything felt right. I felt as though all my dreams will come true. Everything is beautiful. The packet arriving for me on such a beautiful day, the snowflake on my hair, and the fact that I did not have to share all this with anyone. Thank you!